11.3.3 Unmounting a
Mounted File System
In this section, the key NFS files, commands, and
daemons are defined.
The following is a list of key NFS files.
- Lists servers that diskless clients can use for
- Lists the directories that can be exported to NFS
- Contains information about networks on the Internet
/etc/pcnfsd.conf Configuration File
- Options for the rpc.pcnfsd daemon.
- Contains database information for Remote Procedure
Call (RPC) programs.
- Lists directories that are currently exported.
- Lists all file systems that can potentially be
mounted and their mounting configuration.
The following is a list of NFS Commands.
- Starts a specified number of biod and nfsd daemons.
- Configures the system to run NFS and starts NFS
- Configures NFS network options.
- Mounts an NFS automatically.
- Changes the attributes of an NFS-exported directory.
- Changes the attributes of an NFS-mounted directory.
- Exports and unexports directories to NFS clients.
- Displays the characteristics of directories that are
exported with NFS.
- Displays the characteristics of mounted NFS systems.
- Exports a directory using NFS.
- Mounts a directory using NFS.
- Changes the configuration to stop the NFS daemons.
- Removes NFS-exported directories from a server's list
- Removes NFS-mounted file systems from a client's list
The following is a list of NFS Locking daemons.
- Processes lock requests through the RPC package.
- Provides crash-and-recovery functions for the locking
services on NFS.
The following is a list of NFS Network Service daemons and utilities.
- Sends the client's read and write requests to the
server. The biod daemon is SRC controlled.
- Answers requests from clients for file system mounts.
The mountd daemon is SRC controlled.
- Starts the daemons that handle a client's request for
file system operations. nfsd is SRC controlled.
- Displays information about a machine's ability to
- Executes commands on remote machines.
- Maps RPC program numbers to Internet port numbers.
portmap is inetd Controlled.
- Accepts request to run programs from remote machines.
- Generates C code to implement an RPC protocol.
- Reports the status of RPC servers.
- Returns performance statistics obtained from the
- Shows the status of a remote host on the local
- Reports a list of users logged on to the remote
- Responds to queries from the rusers command.
- Sends messages to all users on the network on the
- Handles requests from the rwall command.
- Displays a list of all clients that have mounted
remote file systems.
- Sends a specified number of packets to a host.
- Handles service requests from PC-NFS clients.
- Receives packets sent by the spray command.
11.5 NFS Problem